MIFA supports the independence of vulnerable seniors and families in crisis through the high-impact programs listed below.
MIFA’s senior are designed to promote independence, health, companionship, and dignity.
- MIFA Meals on Wheels delivers 1,200 hot, nutritious lunches daily to seniors at their homes and at congregate sites.
- Senior Companion pairs low-income, active seniors with homebound peers for help with tasks of daily living.
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman advocates for the rights of
thousands of residents in nursing homes, assisted-living facilities,
and residential care homes.
- Transit, our oldest program, transports seniors to appointments around the city.
MIFA’s family programs provide basic services to prevent homelessness, stabilize families, and encourage independence.
- Emergency Services provides assistance with rent, utilities, food, clothing, and other necessities for families suffering from an unexpected loss of income.
- Emergency Shelter Placement helps families secure temporary shelter if homelessness cannot be avoided through mediation.
- Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Rehousing prevents homelessness by helping eligible families quickly obtain permanent stable housing.
- COOL (College Offers Opportunities for Life) provides resources, case management, and life skills education to help prepare teens for the college application process.