September 1, 2, 3, 8, 9 & 15
A major county-wide event uniting the community through service and paying tribute to MIFA’s unique volunteer and inter-faith legacy, CommUNITY Days strengthens community ties by bringing people of all faiths and backgrounds together.
Uniting in Service
As part of MIFA’s 50th anniversary celebration, over 70 congregations partnered in groups of two or more to do projects to benefit our neighbors all across Shelby County. Some partnered based on geographic proximity, others based on pre-existing relationships or a desire to experience greater diversity. In every case, this sweeping event has provided the opportunity to built new relationships and strengthen old ones, all in an effort to make us better neighbors to each other.
Sampling of CommUNITY Days projects:
- Rosemark COGIC, Breath of Life Christian Center, and Growth Central filled backpacks with non-perishable food items for school children in the North Shelby County area, through a partnership with Kroger.
- Brown Missionary Baptist and Calvary Baptist worked on a garden for citizens of Goodwill Village and the North Hollywood community.
- First Presbyterian and the Midtown Mosque served together in the First Presbyterian soup kitchen.
- Grace-St. Luke’s Episcopal, Cane Creek Baptist, St. Peter Missionary Baptist, Greater Abyssinia Baptist, and the Grace-St. Luke’s Boy Scout Troop #34 partnered together to clean-up the Rose Hill Cemetery.
- Jewish Community Partners and 15 of its partners collected and packed items for birthday bags and made birthday cards for MIFA’s Meals on Wheels clients.
- St. Andrew’s Episcopal and Epiphany Lutheran worked in Epiphany’s community garden in Collierville.
CommUNITY Days participants
Anshei Sphard Beth El Emeth Congregation
Baron Hirsch Synagogue
Bellevue Baptist Church
Beth Sholom Synagogue
Bornblum Jewish Community School
Breath of Life Christian Center
Brown Missionary Baptist Church
Calvary Baptist Church
Calvary Episcopal Church
Cane Creek Baptist Church
Chabad Lubavitch of Tennessee
Cherry Road Baptist Church
Christ Missionary Baptist Church
Church of the Holy Communion
Church of the River (First Unitarian)
Collins Chapel CME Church
Epiphany Lutheran Church
Farmington Presbyterian Church
First Baptist Church
First Presbyterian Church
Fullview Baptist Church
Germantown Presbyterian Church
Germantown United Methodist Church
Grace-St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
Grace-St. Luke’s Boy Scout Troop #34
Greater Abyssinia Baptist Church
Greater Lewis St. Missionary Baptist Church
Hillels of Memphis---University of Memphis and Rhodes College
Idlewild Presbyterian Church
Jewish Community Partners
Lifeline to a Dying World
Lindenwood Christian Church
Margolin Hebrew Academy/Feinstone Yeshiva of the South
Memphis Islamic Center
Memphis Jewish Community Center
Memphis Jewish Home
New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church
Or Chadash Synagogue
Pema Karpo Meditation Center
Rosemark COGIC Church
Second Baptist Church
Shady Grove Presbyterian Church
Springdale Baptist Church
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
St. George’s Episcopal Church
St. James AME Church
St. Joseph Episcopal
St. Luke Lutheran Church
St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral
St. Peter Missionary Baptist Church
The Healing Center
Trinity Baptist Church
Unity Church of Practical Christianity
Young Israel of Memphis