Emergency Assistance Eligibility
Note: Not everyone who completes the emergency assistance application form will receive assistance. The information you provide will help us determine your eligibility. If you are eligible for assistance, please know that, in most cases, MIFA cannot pay your entire bill, so you should be prepared to make arrangements for the balance.
Please review the requirements below before you proceed to the emergency assistance application.
Are you a resident of Shelby County?
Assistance through MIFA Emergency Services is only available to residents of Shelby County.
Have you experienced an unexpected loss of income?
Examples of temporary, unavoidable losses of income include lay-off, off work ill without pay, reduction in salary rate, or house fire.
Did that loss of income happen in the past 90 days?
Your loss or crisis should have occurred within the last 90 days, and your household cannot have received MIFA assistance in the last two years.
Can your crisis or loss of income be documented?
If you come to MIFA to apply for assistance, bring the following documents with you:
- Picture ID for all adults, including children age 18 and over
- Social Security cards for everyone in the household
- Verification of children's ages (shot record, report card, birth certificate)
- Proof of your address
- Proof of your loss or crisis (layoff notice, doctor bills)
- Proof of all household income
- Your cutoff notice or late rent or mortgage notice
If you answered "yes" to all four questions,