What is the Share the Pennies Program?
Share the Pennies is a voluntary program that provides weatherization grants for low-income homeowners.
What is Weatherization?
Weatherization is the practice of protecting a home from the elements and modifying it to reduce energy consumption and maximize energy efficiency. Professionally trained Energy Technicians perform on-site home energy audits to identify areas of improvement for energy efficiency. Based on the home energy audit, qualified contractors will perform measures such as increasing attic insulation, repairing broken windows and sealing any air leaks (see the full list of measures below), to make the home more energy efficient. Once installed, these energy-saving measures help to reduce heating and cooling costs for years to come.
Who is eligible for services?
You are eligible if:
- Must be 18 years or older to apply
- Must be a homeowner who lives in Shelby County
- Home must be listed in your name
- Must live in the home to be repaired
- Must be current on City and County property taxes for the home you live in
- Must meet income guidelines (see chart below)
- MLGW utility account must be in your name, with no bad debt or diversion of services within the last seven years
You may be eligible if your income meets the income guidelines listed in the chart (based on 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines).
What kinds of projects can be done?
- Attic insulation
- Attic stair door replacement
- Broken window replacement (air penetration present)
- Exterior door replacement (where there is a penetration)
- Repair of water leaks
- Repair of gas leaks
- Exterior wall penetrations
- Interior floor penetrations (homes not on a slab)
- HVAC duct repair or replacement
- HVAC repair/maintenance
- Water heater repair or replacement
- Weather stripping around doors or windows
- Installation of carbon monoxide detectors (gas appliances)
How do I apply?
Apply online by clicking here. If you do not have online access you can call the Share the Pennies Intake Line at 901-529-4561 and leave a voicemail message.
What information do I need to apply online?
- Most recent MLGW bill with your account number
- Income for all household members. This includes income from jobs, social security, pension, retirement, TANF, SNAP, disability, etc.
What documents will I need after the online application process?
- Picture identification with an address that matches the home address (such as driver’s license, state-issued ID, or work ID) for all homeowners
- Most recent complete MLGW bill, in your name, at your address.
- Proof of all income for all household members. This includes income from jobs, social security, pension, retirement, TANF, SNAP, disability, etc.
- Documentation for all children in the home - tax documentation, birth certificate, social security card, SNAP or other proof of legal guardianship
Who can I call if I have more questions?
Call the Share the Pennies Intake Line at 901-529-4561 and leave a voicemail message.