Thank you for your interest in the Share the Pennies Home Weatherization Program. The application period is now closed.
Please enter your name and e-mail address below to receive a notification when the next application period opens.
About Share the Pennies
What is the Share the Pennies Program?
Share the Pennies is a voluntary program that provides weatherization grants for low-income homeowners.
What is weatherization?
Weatherization is the practice of protecting a home from the elements and maximizing energy efficiency. Professionally trained Energy Technicians perform on-site home energy audits to identify areas of improvement for energy efficiency. Based on the home energy audit, qualified contractors will perform measures such as increasing attic insulation, repairing broken windows and sealing any air leaks (see the full list of measures below), to make the home more energy efficient.
Who is eligible for services?
- Must be 18 years or older to apply
- Must be a homeowner who lives in Shelby County
- Home must be listed in your name
- Must live in the home to be repaired
- Must be current on City and County property taxes for the home you live in
- Must meet income limit guidelines (see chart below)
- Must have an active MLGW utility account in your name with no diversion within the last seven years and any bad debt owed to MLGW must be paid in full
You may be eligible if your income meets the income limit guidelines listed in the chart (based on 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines).
What kinds of projects can be done?
- Attic Insulation
- Attic Stairs and Door Replacement
- Broken Window Repair or Replacement
- Exterior Door Repair or Replacement
- Weather Stripping around Doors or Windows
- Repair of Water Leaks
- Repair of Gas Leaks
- Exterior or Interior Wall Penetrations
- Interior Floor Penetrations (homes not on a slab)
- HVAC Duct Repair or Replacement
- HVAC Repair or Replacement
- Water Heater Repair or Replacement
- Installation of Smoke Detectors
- Installation of CO Detectors (gas appliances)
How do I apply?
Applications are only accepted a few times a year. Complete the interest form at the top of this page to be contacted before the next application period begins.
What information do I need to apply online?
- Most recent MLGW bill with your account number
- Income for all household members. This includes income from jobs, social security, pension, retirement, TANF, SNAP, disability, etc.
What documents will I need after the online application process?
- Picture identification with an address that matches the home address (such as driver’s license, state-issued ID, or work ID) for all homeowners
- Most recent complete MLGW bill, in your name, at your address.
- Proof of all income for all household members. This includes income from jobs, social security, pension, retirement, TANF, SNAP, disability, etc.
- Documentation for all children in the home - tax documentation, birth certificate, social security card, SNAP or other proof of legal guardianship